what is difference between belling and shivaree
- IPA(key): /ˈbɛlɪŋ/
From Middle English bellynge, equivalent to bell + -ing.
belling (plural bellings)
- Bellowing; the sound of a male deer during the rutting season
- (US, Indiana) A shivaree.
From bell + -ing.
- present participle of bell
- (UK) charivari
From French charivari.
- IPA(key): /ʃɪvəˈɹiː/
- Rhymes: -æri, -ɑːri, -iː
shivaree (plural shivarees)
- The noisy banging of pots and pans as a mock serenade to a newly married couple, or similar occasion.
- Any loud cacophonous noise or hubbub.
shivaree (third-person singular simple present shivarees, present participle shivareeing, simple past and past participle shivareed)
- (transitive) To serenade (a newly married couple) with the noisy banging of pots and pans.