what is difference between bewitch and mesmerise
From Middle English bewicchen, bewycchen, biwicchen, equivalent to be- + witch.
- IPA(key): /bəˈwɪtʃ/
- Rhymes: -ɪtʃ
bewitch (third-person singular simple present bewitches, present participle bewitching, simple past and past participle bewitched)
- (transitive) To cast a spell upon.
- (transitive) To fascinate or charm.
- Synonym: forspeak (obsolete)
- (transitive) To astonish, amaze. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
mesmerise (third-person singular simple present mesmerises, present participle mesmerising, simple past and past participle mesmerised)
- Non-Oxford British English standard spelling of mesmerize.