what is difference between bilberry and whortleberry
Probably of North Germanic origin (Danish bøllebær), from Old Norse bolli (Proto-Germanic *bullǭ) + ber.
- IPA(key): /ˈbɪlb(ə)ɹɪ/
bilberry (plural bilberries)
- Vaccinium myrtillus, the wild European blueberry of the cowberry family.
- The shrub of the above-mentioned plant.
Also see the translations of blueberry
- “bilberry”, in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th edition, Boston, Mass.: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2016, →ISBN.
Alteration of Middle English hurtilbery, equivalent to whortle + berry. Compare English huckleberry.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈwɝtl̩bɛɹi/, /ˈhwɝtl̩-/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈwɜːtl̩bəɹi/, /ˈhɜːtl̩bəɹi/
- Hyphenation: whor‧tle‧ber‧ry
whortleberry (plural whortleberries)
- Any of several shrubs belonging to the genus Vaccinium:
- Vaccinium myrtillus (bilberry or blue whortleberry);
- Vaccinium vitis-idaea (lingonberry or red whortleberry);
- Vaccinium uliginosum (bog whortleberry or bilberry).
- A berry of one of these shrubs.
- (shrubs): whortle bush