what is difference between bluebottle and cornflower
- blue + bottle
- (police officer): From the colour of the uniform.
bluebottle (plural bluebottles)
- Any of various blowflies of the genus Calliphora that have an iridescent metallic-blue body and make a loud buzzing noise when flying.
- A marine jellyfish of the genus Physalia, which includes Physalia physalis, the Portuguese man-of-war, and Physalia utriculus, the Pacific man-of-war; a man-of-war.
- A cornflower, a plant that grows in grain fields, Centaurea cyanus, with blue flowers resembling bottles.
- A blue ant, Diamma bicolor, a parasitic wasp native to Australia.
- Any of various large papilionid butterflies of the genus Graphium. Also called triangles.
- (Britain, Australia, Ireland, slang, derogatory) A police officer.
- blue-bottle fly
corn + flower
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈkɔɹnˌflaʊɚ/
- Homophone: cornflour
cornflower (plural cornflowers)
- A small annual plant in the family Asteraceae, Centaurea cyanus, usually with bushy blue flowers which grows natively in European cornfields (i.e. wheatfields).
- A plant of the species Cichorium intybus.
- Cornflower blue.
- (Centaurea cyanus): bachelor’s button, basket flower, bluebottle, boutonniere flower, hurtsickle
- (Cichorium intybus): common chicory, blue daisy, blue dandelion, blue sailor, blue weed, coffeeweed, chicory button, hendibeh, horseweed, ragged sailor, succory, wild bachelor’s button, wild endive
cornflower (not comparable)
- Of a blue colour, as that of the cornflower; cornflower blue.
- cornflower blue
- (blues) blue; Alice blue, aqua, aquamarine, azure, baby blue, beryl, bice, bice blue, blue green, blue violet, blueberry, cadet blue, Cambridge blue, cerulean, cobalt blue, Copenhagen blue, cornflower, cornflower blue, cyan, dark blue, Dodger blue, duck-egg blue, eggshell blue, electric-blue, gentian blue, ice blue, lapis lazuli, light blue, lovat, mazarine, midnight blue, navy, Nile blue, Oxford blue, peacock blue, petrol blue, powder blue, Prussian blue, robin’s-egg blue, royal blue, sapphire, saxe blue, slate blue, sky blue, teal, turquoise, ultramarine, Wedgwood blue, zaffre (Category: en:Blues)
- cornflower on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Centaurea cyanus on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Centaurea cyanus on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- cornflower at USDA Plants database
Please follow and like us: