what is difference between broaden and widen
From broad + -en (verbal suffix).
- IPA(key): /ˈbɹɔːdən/
- Rhymes: -ɔːdən
broaden (third-person singular simple present broadens, present participle broadening, simple past and past participle broadened)
- (transitive) To make broad or broader.
- Travel broadens the mind.
- Synonyms: widen, extend
- (intransitive) To become broad or broader.
- The roads gradually broadened as we drove into the countryside.
- Synonym: widen
- broaden someone’s horizons
- Aberdon, bandore, boarden
From wide + -en (verbal suffix).
- IPA(key): /ˈwaɪdən/
- Rhymes: -aɪdən
widen (third-person singular simple present widens, present participle widening, simple past and past participle widened)
- (intransitive) To become wide or wider.
- (transitive) To make wide or wider.
- (transitive) To let out clothes to a larger size.
- (transitive) To broaden or extend in scope or range.
- (transitive, programming) To convert to a data type that can hold a larger number of distinct values.
- Antonym: narrow
- to widen a
shortvariable to an
- Edwin, Wedin, Wendi, dwine, indew, winde, wined