what is difference between bunco and hustle
Reportedly from Spanish banca, a card game.
- IPA(key): /ˈbʌŋkəʊ/
- Rhymes: -ʌŋkəʊ
bunco (countable and uncountable, plural buncos or buncoes)
- (US, slang) A swindle or confidence trick.
- (uncountable) A parlour game played in teams with three dice, originating in England but popular among suburban women in the United States at the beginning of the 21st century.
- A brigand.
- bunco squad
bunco (third-person singular simple present buncos, present participle buncoing, simple past and past participle buncoed)
- (transitive, intransitive, US, slang) To swindle (someone).
From Dutch husselen or by metathesis from Dutch hutselen (“to shake up”), a frequentative of hutsen (“to stir, to move something (back and forth)”).
- IPA(key): /ˈhʌsəl/
- Rhymes: -ʌsəl
hustle (third-person singular simple present hustles, present participle hustling, simple past and past participle hustled)
- To push someone roughly, to crowd, to jostle.
- (intransitive) To rush or hurry.
- (transitive) To bundle; to stow something quickly.
- (transitive) To con or deceive; especially financially.
- To play deliberately badly at a game or sport in an attempt to encourage players to challenge.
- (informal) To obtain by illicit or forceful action.
- (informal) To sell sex; to work as a pimp.
- (informal) To be a prostitute, to exchange use of one’s body for sexual purposes for money.
- To dance the hustle, a disco dance.
- (informal) To work.
- (informal) To put a lot of effort into one’s work.
- (to rush): fly, make tracks; see also Thesaurus:rush
- (to deceive): defraud, swindle; see also Thesaurus:deceive
- (to be a prostitute): sell one’s body, turn tricks; see also Thesaurus:prostitute oneself
- (to work as a pimp): pimp; see also Thesaurus:pimp out
- (to work): labor
- Dutch: hosselen
hustle (countable and uncountable, plural hustles)
- A state of busy activity.
- A propensity to work hard and get things done; ability to hustle.
- (preceded by definite article) A type of disco dance, commonly danced to the Van McCoy song The Hustle.
- (prison slang) An activity, such as prostitution or reselling stolen items, that a prisoner uses to earn money in prison.
- hustle and bustle
- on the hustle
- Hulets, Lesuth, Lueths, sleuth