what is difference between catchfly and lychnis
catch + fly
catchfly (plural catchflies)
- Any of several unrelated plants that have sticky leaves on which flies become stuck; especially, the silenes or campions.
- sticky catchfly
From the genus name.
- IPA(key): /ˈlɪknɪs/
lychnis (plural lychnises)
- (botany) Any of the genus Lychnis of flowering plants.
From Ancient Greek λυχνίς (lukhnís, “shining”).
lychnis f (genitive lychnidis); third declension
- a kind of rose
- a kind of precious stone
- dative plural of lychnus
- ablative plural of lychnus
- lychnis in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- lychnis in Gaffiot, Félix (1934) Dictionnaire illustré Latin-Français, Hachette