what is difference between catmint and catnip
From cat + mint.
- IPA(key): /ˈkætmɪnt/
catmint (countable and uncountable, plural catmints)
- Synonym of catnip (the plant Nepeta cataria, or other members of the genus)
Compound of cat + Middle English nep, from Old English nepte, from Latin nepeta.
- IPA(key): /ˈkatnɪp/
catnip (countable and uncountable, plural catnips)
- Any of the about 250 species of flowering plant of the genus Nepeta, family Lamiaceae, certain of which are said to have medicinal qualities.
- Synonyms: catmint, catwort
- Nepeta cataria and Nepeta grandiflora (and perhaps other species), which are well-known for causing an apparently harmless pheromone-based intoxication among certain cats.
- Coordinate term: silver vine
- (figuratively) Something that causes excitement or interest.
- catnip on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Nepeta on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- “catnip”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
catnip m (plural catnips)