what is difference between certainly and surely
certain + -ly
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɝʔn̩li/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɜːtn̩li/
certainly (comparative more certainly, superlative most certainly)
- In a way which is certain; with certainty.
- , I.iii.2.2:
- he verily thought he had young live frogs in his belly, qui vivebant ex alimento suo, that lived by his nourishment, and was so certainly persuaded of it, that for many years following he could not be rectified in his conceit.
- , I.iii.2.2:
- Without doubt, surely.
- So this was my future home, I thought! Certainly it made a brave picture. I had seen similar ones fired-in on many a Heidelberg stein. Backed by towering hills, […] a sky of palest Gobelin flecked with fat, fleecy little clouds, it in truth looked a dear little city; the city of one’s dreams.
- An emphatic affirmative answer; of course.
- (with certainty): absolutely, beyond doubt, indubitably, sure thing, undoubtedly, wis (obsolete), without a doubt
- (without doubt): definitely, doubtlessly, in fact, indeed, indisputably, indubitably, no doubt, really, sure, surely, truly, undoubtedly, unquestionably, wis (obsolete), without a doubt
- (emphatic affirmative): damn right, damn straight, fo shizzle, for sure, oh yeah, wye aye (dialect)
- maybe, possibly, arguably, questionably, probably, perhaps
- certainly in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- certainly in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
From Middle English surely; equivalent to sure + -ly.
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈʃʊəli/, /ˈʃɔːli/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈʃʊɹli/, /ˈʃɔɹli/, /ˈʃɝli/
- Homophone: Shirley (in some dialects)
- Rhymes: -ʊə(ɹ)li, -ɔː(ɹ)li
surely (comparative surelier or more surely, superlative sureliest or most surely)
- Without fail.
- Certainly, undoubtedly.
- With confidence.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible, Luke 1:1
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us […].
- certainly, wis (obsolete)
- Ruleys, Ruyles, Ulerys, Ulreys, syluer
- surly, suerly, surliche, surelich, seurly, suyrly, swrly, seurerly, seuirly, sureli, sewrly, sourely, sewerly, swerly, sewrlye, surelye
From sure + -ly.
- IPA(key): /ˈsɛu̯rliː/, /ˈsiu̯rliː/, /ˈsuːrliː/
surely (comparative surelier)
- safely (with safety and security)
- totally, bindingly, without doubt
- For sure, with certainty.
- truely, actually, really
- totally, entirely, wholly
- With conviction and belief; assuredly
- English: surely
- Scots: shuirly
- “seurlī, adv.”, in MED Online, Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 2007, retrieved 2018-04-21.