what is difference between defrock and unfrock
From French défroquer, from dé- + froc.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /diːˈfɹɒk/
- (General American) IPA(key): /diˈfɹɑk/
- Rhymes: -ɒk
- Hyphenation: de‧frock
defrock (third-person singular simple present defrocks, present participle defrocking, simple past and past participle defrocked)
- (literally) To divest of a frock.
- (figuratively) To formally remove the rights and authority of a member of the clergy.
- The defrocked priest may no longer perform rites.
- (by extension) To formally remove the rights and authority of someone, e.g. a government official or a medical practitioner.
un- + frock
unfrock (third-person singular simple present unfrocks, present participle unfrocking, simple past and past participle unfrocked)
- (transitive) To remove from the clergy; to revoke the clerical status of.