what is difference between exam and examination
- IPA(key): /ɪɡˈzæm/, /ɛɡˈzæm/
exam (plural exams)
- (informal) Clipping of examination, especially when meaning test or in compound terms.
exam (third-person singular simple present exams, present participle examming or examing, simple past and past participle exammed or examed)
- (sciences) Shortened form of examine
- Thin sections were stained with lead citrate and then examed using 1200EX electron microscope (JEOL, Tokyo, Japan).
- AmEx, Amex
exam m (plural exams)
- (informal) Short for examen.
From Middle English examinacioun, from Old French examinacion, from Latin exāminātiō.
Morphologically examine + -ation
- IPA(key): /ɪɡˌzæmɪˈneɪʃən/
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- Hyphenation: ex‧am‧i‧na‧tion
examination (countable and uncountable, plural examinations)
- The act of examining.
- Particularly, an inspection by a medical professional to establish the extent and nature of any sickness or injury.
- A formal test involving answering written or oral questions under a time constraint and usually without access to textbooks.