what is difference between exchangeable and similar
exchange + -able
exchangeable (not comparable)
- Able to be exchanged.
- (finance) Having an associated right to be exchanged for another form of financial security.
exchangeable (plural exchangeables)
- (finance) Any financial instrument with an associated right to be exchanged for another form of financial security.
From French similaire, from Medieval Latin similaris, extended from Latin similis (“like”); akin to simul (“together”).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɪmələ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɪməlɚ/
similar (comparative more similar, superlative most similar)
- Having traits or characteristics in common; alike, comparable.
- So this was my future home, I thought! Certainly it made a brave picture. I had seen similar ones fired-in on many a Heidelberg stein. Backed by towering hills, […] a sky of palest Gobelin flecked with fat, fleecy little clouds, it in truth looked a dear little city; the city of one’s dreams.
- (mathematics) Of geometrical figures including triangles, squares, ellipses, arcs and more complex figures, having the same shape but possibly different size, rotational orientation, and position; in particular, having corresponding angles equal and corresponding line segments proportional; such that one can be had from the other using a sequence of rotations, translations and scalings.
- (with common characteristics): akin, alike, comparable, identical, same, twin
- (alike): different, unlike, dissimilar
similar (plural similars)
- That which is similar to, or resembles, something else, as in quality, form, etc.
- (homeopathy) A material that produces an effect that resembles the symptoms of a particular disease.
- similar in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- similar in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
From Latin similāris.
- (Balearic) IPA(key): /si.miˈla/
- (Central) IPA(key): /si.miˈlar/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /si.miˈlaɾ/
similar (masculine and feminine plural similars)
- Synonym: semblant
- “similar” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- (Portugal) IPA(key): /sɨ.mi.ˈlaɾ/
- (Brazil) IPA(key): /si.mi.ˈla(ʁ)/
- Hyphenation: si‧mi‧lar
similar m or f (plural similares, comparable)
- similar (having traits or characteristics in common)
- Synonyms: parecido, semelhante
From French similaire
similar m or n (feminine singular similară, masculine plural similari, feminine and neuter plural similare)
- IPA(key): /simiˈlaɾ/, [si.miˈlaɾ]
- Hyphenation: si‧mi‧lar
similar (plural similares)
- Synonyms: semejante, parecido, símil (rare)
- Antonyms: desemejante, desigual, diferente, disímil, dispar, disparejo, diverso
- “similar” in Diccionario de la lengua española, Vigésima tercera edición, Real Academia Española, 2014.