what is difference between fateful and portentous
From fate + -ful.
- IPA(key): /ˈfeɪtfəl/
fateful (comparative more fateful, superlative most fateful)
- Momentous, significant, setting or sealing one’s fate.
- It started with that fateful trip, history was never the same afterwards.
- Determined in advance by fate, fated.
Borrowed from Latin portentōsus, from portentus (“predicted”); equivalent to portent + -ous.
- IPA(key): /pɔː(ɹ)ˈtɛntəs/
portentous (comparative more portentous, superlative most portentous)
- Of momentous or ominous significance.
- Synonyms: ominous, momentous
- Ominously prophetic.
- Synonyms: foreshadowing, predictive, premonitory, prognosticatory
- Puffed up with vanity.