what is difference between finder and spotter
From Middle English findere, equivalent to find + -er.
- Rhymes: -aɪndə(ɹ)
- IPA(key): /ˈfaɪndə(ɹ)/
finder (plural finders)
- One who finds or discovers something.
- Finders keepers, losers weepers.
- 2012, Alan R. Romero, Property Law For Dummies (page 229)
- The finder of treasure trove owns it against the landowner and everyone else except the true owner.
- An optical device, such as a viewfinder, used to locate a target or other object of interest
- (discoverer): inventor; see also discoverer
- pure finder
- Friden, Friend, friend, frined, redfin, refin’d, refind
From finde (“to find”) + -er.
- IPA(key): /fenər/, [ˈfenɐ]
finder c (singular definite finderen, plural indefinite findere)
- IPA(key): /fendər/, [ˈfenˀɐ]
- present of finde
From spot + -er
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈspɒt.ə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈspɑ.tɚ/
- Rhymes: -ɒtə(ɹ)
spotter (plural spotters)
- A person who observes something.
- A member of a sniper team who in addition to this function is responsible for providing additional information about targets from a different point of view.
- (weightlifting, gymnastics, climbing) One who supervises a person performing an activity, in order to help them should they be unable to complete it.
- (US) A person who gives directions of a crane or vehicle challenging to navigate from a different point of view to the moved load.
- Synonyms: banksman, dogman, lookout, observer, signalman
- Dolphins of the genus Stenella, and specifically Stenella attenuata distinguished from the streaker (Stenella coeruleoalba) and the spinner (Stenella longirostris).
- Synonym: spotted dolphin
- (motor racing) A team member responsible for communication with the driver to keep them up-to-date about on-track events, such as other nearby cars.
- planespotter/plane spotter
- train spotter
- weather spotter
- “spotter”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- Potters, potters, protest, strepto, strepto-
- present of spotte
spotter m (definite singular spotteren, indefinite plural spottere, definite plural spotterne)
- jeerer; mocker
- spottar (Nynorsk)
- IPA(key): /esˈpoteɾ/, [esˈpo.t̪eɾ]
spotter m (plural spotteres)
- spotter (clarification of this definition is needed)