what is difference between folio and pagination
Borrowed from Latin foliō, the ablative singular form of folium (“a leaf; a sheet or leaf of paper”). Doublet of foil and folium.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfəʊlɪəʊ/, /ˈfəʊljəʊ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfoʊliˌoʊ/
- Rhymes: -əʊljəʊ
- Hyphenation: fo‧lio
folio (plural folios)
- a leaf of a book or manuscript
- A page of a book, that is, one side of a leaf of a book.
- (printing) A page number. The even folios are on the left-hand pages and the odd folios on the right-hand pages.
- (paper) A sheet of paper folded in half.
- (books) A book made of sheets of paper each folded in half (two leaves or four pages to the sheet); hence, a book of the largest kind, exceeding 30 cm in height.
- (accounting) A page in an account book; sometimes, two opposite pages bearing the same serial number.
- (law, dated, 19th to early 20th century) A leaf containing a certain number of words; hence, a certain number of words in a writing, as in England, in law proceedings 72, and in chancery, 90; in New York, 100 words.
- A wrapper for loose papers.
- (book consisting of sheets folded in half): F, f, fo, 2º
- folio post
folio (third-person singular simple present folios, present participle folioing, simple past and past participle folioed)
- to put a serial number on each folio or page of (a book); to page
- Synonym: foliate
Borrowed from Latin folium (“leaf, sheet”).
- IPA(key): /foˈlio/
- Hyphenation: fo‧li‧o
- Rhymes: -io
folio (accusative singular folion, plural folioj, accusative plural foliojn)
- (botany) leaf
- foil (very thin sheet of metal)
Borrowed from Esperanto folio., from Latin folium
- IPA(key): /ˈfoli̯o/
folio (plural folii)
- (botany) leaf
- (thin) sheet
- folio (leaf/sheet of paper)
- (Classical) IPA(key): /ˈfo.li.oː/, [ˈfɔlʲioː]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /ˈfo.li.o/, [ˈfɔːliɔ]
- dative singular of folium
- ablative singular of folium
From Latin folio
folio n (uncountable)
folio m (Cyrillic spelling фолио)
Borrowed from Latin folium. Cf. also hoja.
- IPA(key): /ˈfoljo/, [ˈfo.ljo]
folio m (plural folios)
from French pagination
- enPR: păj’ən-ā”shən, IPA(key): /ˌpædʒəˈneɪʃən/
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
pagination (countable and uncountable, plural paginations)
- The act of creating pages for a document, book, etc., or determining when to truncate text on the pages.
- The act of numbering pages for a document, book, etc.
- (computing) The separation of data into batches, so that it can be retrieved with a number of smaller requests.
from Latin pagina + -ation
pagination f (plural paginations)
- “pagination” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).