what is difference between formally and officially
formal + -ly
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɔɹməli/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɔːməli/
- Homophone: formerly (nonrhotic accents)
formally (comparative more formally, superlative most formally)
- In a formal manner.
- He was dressed too formally for the occasion.
- In accordance with official procedure.
- He formally filed a complaint, which involved much paperwork.
- In accordance with rigorous rules.
- He proved it formally but gave his students no intuitive feel for the matter.
From official + -ly.
- IPA(key): /əˈfɪʃəli/
- Hyphenation: of‧fi‧cial‧ly
officially (comparative more officially, superlative most officially)
- In an official manner; according to official rules or regulations.
- Antonyms: inofficially, unofficially
- (slang) Thoroughly, completely.
Please follow and like us: