what is difference between frequently and oftentimes
frequent + -ly
- (General American, Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɹiː.kwənt.li/
frequently (comparative more frequently, superlative most frequently)
- At frequent intervals.
- (mathematics, of a sequence) For infinitely many terms of the sequence.
- as often as not, often, oftenly, oftentimes, occasionally
Inherited from the Middle English oftentymes; equivalent to oftentime + -s. Compare oftentime.
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈɒf.ənˌtaɪmz/, /ˈɒf.tənˌtaɪmz/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈɔf.ənˌtaɪmz/, /ˈɔf.tənˌtaɪmz/
oftentimes (not comparable)
- (chiefly US) Frequently
- (chiefly US) Repeatedly
- “oftentimes, adv.” in the Oxford English Dictionary (third edition, March 2004)