what is difference between grenadier and rattail
From French grenadier, corresponding to grenade + -ier.
- (UK) IPA(key): /ɡɹɛnəˈdɪə/
- Rhymes: -ɪə(ɹ)
grenadier (plural grenadiers)
- A type of soldier, originally one who threw grenades, later a member of a company formed from the tallest men of the regiment; now specifically, a member of the Grenadier Guards.
- Any of various African weaverbirds or waxbills, especially the common grenadier or the red bishop.
- Any of various deep-sea fish of the family Macrouridae that have a large head and body and a long tapering tail; a rattail.
- Either of two red and black libellulid dragonflies, Agrionoptera insignis and Lathrecista asiatica, of Asia and Australia.
- Readinger, rereading
grenade + -ier
- IPA(key): /ɡʁə.na.dje/
grenadier m (plural grenadiers)
- pomegranate tree
- (military) grenadier
- “grenadier” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
grenadier m (definite singular grenadieren, indefinite plural grenadiere, definite plural grenadierne)
- a Grenadian (person from Grenada)
- person from Grenada
rat + tail
- enPR: ˈrăt-ˌtāl, IPA(key): /ˈɹæt.teɪl/
rattail (plural rattails)
- Any of the large dark-colored deep-sea fish of the Macrouridae family of ray-finned fish.
- Synonyms: grenadier, macrourid, whiptail
- A hairstyle characterized by a long lock of tail-like hair dangling from the back of the head.
- tail (structural)
- rattail on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Macrouridae on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Macrouridae on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons