what is difference between groundhog and woodchuck
- ground hog
ground + hog
groundhog (plural groundhogs)
- A red-brown marmot, Marmota monax, native to North America.
- Synonyms: whistle-pig, woodchuck
- (rare) The aardvark.
- Groundhog Day, Groundhog’s Day
- Groundhog Lodge
- groundhog on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
Borrowed from Cree ocêk, otchek (“fisher”), borrowed from Ojibwe ojiig (“fisher, marten”), or a similar term in a related Algonquian language, subsequently reapplied to the groundhog.
An earlier form of this word, woodshock, still sometimes designated the marten.
- IPA(key): /ˈwʊd.tʃʌk/
woodchuck (plural woodchucks)
- A rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots, Marmota monax.
- Synonyms: groundhog, whistle pig, land-beaver, moonack
- woodchuck on Wikipedia.Wikipedia