what is difference between hex and hexadecimal
- IPA(key): /hɛks/
- Rhymes: -ɛks
First attested about 1830, from Pennsylvania German hexe (“to practice witchcraft”), from German hexen (compare Hexe (“witch”)). The noun appeared later, in the 1850s. Cognate to Norwegian Bokmål heks (“witch”) and Dutch heks (“witch”), Dutch beheksen (“to bewitch”), Old English hægtesse (“witch, hag”). Doublet of hag.
hex (third-person singular simple present hexes, present participle hexing, simple past and past participle hexed)
- (transitive) To cast a spell on (specifically an evil spell), to bewitch.
hex (plural hexes)
- An evil spell or curse.
- A witch.
- (rare) A spell (now rare but still found in compounds such as hex sign and hexcraft).
Short for hexadecimal.
- (computing, informal) Clipping of hexadecimal.
Short for hexagon.
hex (plural hexes)
- A hexagonal space on a game board.
- (climbing) a hexagon-shaped item of rock climbing equipment intended to be wedged into a crack or other opening in the rock.
- (climbing): nut
1952. hexadeca- + decimal; see the Wikipedia article for more information.
- IPA(key): /ˌhɛksəˈdɛsɪməl/
hexadecimal (countable and uncountable, plural hexadecimals)
- (arithmetic, computing, uncountable) A number system with base sixteen, using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E and F, most used in computing as a hexadecimal digit can represent four bits, half a standard byte, and thus a single byte can be represented conveniently with two digits.
- (countable, computing) A number expressed in the hexadecimal system.
- (arithmetic, computing): base sixteen
hexadecimal (not comparable)
- Of a number, expressed in hexadecimal.
- (arithmetic, computing): base-sixteen
hexadecimal (masculine and feminine plural hexadecimals)
hexadecimal m (plural hexadecimals)
hexadecimal m or f (plural hexadecimais, comparable)
- (computing, of a number) hexadecimal (expressed in base 16)
hexadecimal m (plural hexadecimais)
- (computing) hexadecimal (number expressed in base 16)
hexadecimal m (plural hexadecimales)
hexadecimal (plural hexadecimales)