what is difference between homosexuality and queerness
From homosexual + -ity or homo- + sexuality (late 19th century)
- Rhymes: -ælɪti
homosexuality (usually uncountable, plural homosexualities)
- The state of being sexually attracted primarily or exclusively to persons of the same sex.
- Sexual activity with a person of the same sex.
Homosexuality in women is also known as lesbianism. As homosexuality applies to people of either sex, the expression homosexuality and lesbianism is redundant and is best replaced by homosexuality or lesbianism alone as appropriate. Different cultural constructions of same-sex love are collectively referred to as homosexualities.
- lesbianism (applied only to women)
- uranism (obsolete)
- urningism (obsolete)
- straightness (slang)
- (sexual orientations) sexual orientation; asexual (-ity, ace), bisexual (-ity, bi), demisexual (-ity, demi), graysexual (-ity), heterosexual (-ity, straight), homosexual (-ity, gay, lesbian), omnisexual (-ity), pansexual (-ity, pan), plurisexual (-ity), polysexual (-ity), robosexual (-ity), sapiosexual (-ity), androsexual (-ity), gynesexual (-ity) (Category: en:Sexual orientations)
- LGBT, GLBT
From queer + -ness.
queerness (countable and uncountable, plural queernesses)
- (uncountable) The quality of being queer or odd.
- (countable) Something queer; an oddity.
- (uncountable) The quality of being queer, in the sense of not conforming to sexual or gender norms.
- (all): queerhood
- (state of being odd): abnormality, oddness, weirdness; see also Thesaurus:strangeness
- (an oddity): deviance, irregularity, outlier; see also Thesaurus:anomaly
- (state of not conforming to sexual norms): nonheterosexuality
- (state of not conforming to sexual norms): gayness, homosexuality